The suburb of Paradise Point is located on a peninsula bounded by Coombabah Creek, Coomera River and the northern Broadwater. The suburb also encompasses Ephraim and Sovereign Islands.
Aerial view over Paradise Point, Queensland circa 1970 A. L. Lambert, photographer.
Prior to its subdivision and development, the area was a quiet fishing spot that could be reached by a track that went through swampy land, studded with eucalypts.
Following World War II, approximately 200 hectares of the land which eventually became Paradise Point was owned by Ralph Faulkinder who had acquired it for £600 from his deferred pay following the war.
By the early 1950s, Faulkinder decided to subdivide part of his property. Jim Handford surveyed the land and Jack Kogler of Labrador was the selling agent for the new residential estate. The venture was managed by Willmore & Randell, who were experienced developers, with Mr Milton Grant acting as the local manager.
Faulkinder eventually sold the land to Jays, a company owned by Handford and Kolger. In 1962, they were forced to sell some of the land but went on to develop the rest together until, in 1977, Handford acquired full control of the company. Over the years, Handford owned either independently or in partnership significant areas of land in Paradise Point including Sovereign, Andys and Griffin Islands and his home at the top of the point on 10.8 hectares of land, where he had a private airfield and golf course.
Aerial view over Paradise Point, Queensland circa 1970s. Photographer unknown.
Paradise Point subdivision
The first release of land for the Paradise Point subdivision, which was advertised as a township, occurred on 12 April 1953. The new development featured an Esplanade beside the protected waters of the Broadwater, waterfront allotments, ornamental parks, playgrounds and a shopping centre.
The views over the Broadwater, excellent fishing spots and proximity to Hollywell provided additional appeal. The sale was considered a great success, with all of the available lots selling within two weeks. A total of 122 blocks of land were sold in 1953 at a sale price starting at £40.
By August 1954, three houses had been built and there were plans for a store and boating business to be opened by December. A further eight houses were to be constructed in the following months. In 1957, electricity poles had been erected within the estate in preparation for power lines to be installed. By 1959, more than 300 lots had been sold in Paradise Point.
While the roads were advertised as being passable in all weather, it was not until a bridge was constructed over the mouth of Biggera Creek at Land’s End in 1960 that access between Southport and Paradise Point improved.
The development was advertised at the perfect location for a holiday home and an ideal place to escape the crowds further south along the coast. As a result, Paradise Point was a popular choice for older retirees looking for a quiet home near the water.
In 1970, the canal developments to the west of the Broadwater, known as Paradise Point Keys, were advertised for sale. The first stage of 135 waterfront lots sold out within a year and the second stage, which was a Lewis Land project, was advertised in late 1971. Prices for a block of land on the canals started at $6950.
Paradise Point canal development circa 1970 Photographer unknown.
By 1983, Paradise Point had approximately 1400 homes, with more being built. With a growing community, the 200 members of the Paradise Point and Northern Districts Progress Association lobbied for improved amenities including a community centre, street lighting, parking areas, bike racks, a fire station, improved drainage, and the Pine Ridge Environmental Park. Land was set aside for a police station.
In 1986, Sir Joh Bjelke-Petersen opened the $3 million Haddon’s Marina at Paradise Point. The marina had berths for 50 boats, supplied both equipment and boats for hire and was a departure point for boats travelling to Tipplers, North Stradbroke Island and Jumpinpin.
By the 1990s, lobbying to protect the mangroves at Jabiru Island resulted in the establishment of the Phil Hill Environmental Park. During the same period, a $200,000 streetscaping project commenced along The Esplanade to remove overhead powerlines, install a swimming enclosure and beautify the area.
In later years, Paradise Point was further transformed by the development of Andys and Griffin Islands into Sovereign Island and the subdivision of Ephraim Island into prestige waterfront housing with deep water moorings capable of accommodating ocean cruisers.
By 2016, over 9000 people called Paradise Point and Hollywell home.
Source: Gold Coast City website
Living in Paradise Point – A Quiet, Safe Family Friendly Place
Paradise Point is surrounded by waterways on three sides and boasts its own protected harbour. The suburb is very appealing to waterfront property buyers and for boating people due to the direct high-mast access to the Coomera River and Broadwater.
Ephraim Island is one of the latest developments in the suburb of Paradise Point, and is located a little further south. The suburb offers limited, terraced residential precincts. The buildings were designed to blend aesthetically with the island’s natural beauty.
Approximately 78% of the island will remain in its natural state as natural wetlands or as open space. The areas are home to many young families and retirees.
Local Community Connections